Piscataquis County, Maine Genealogy
Piscataquis County, Maine genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to help you you trace your Piscataquis Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Piscataquis County was founded on March 23, 1838 from parts of Penobscot County and Somerset County. This county was named for an Abenaki word meaning rapid waters..
The Piscataquis County Seat is situated in Dover-Foxcroft and the county government website is http://www.piscataquis.us/
Locations adjacent to Piscataquis County happen to be Aroostook County (north), Penobscot County (southeast), Somerset County (west).
Cities and towns found in Piscataquis County include Abbot, Atkinson, Beaver Cove, Bowerbank, Brownville, Dover-Foxcroft, Greenville, Guilford, Kingsbury Plantation, Lake View Plantation, Medford, Milo, Monson, Parkman, Sangerville, Sebec, Shirley, Wellington, Willimantic.
Piscataquis County has Federal Census Schedules to aid in exploring your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Piscataquis Co. Piscataquis Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Piscataquis Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Piscataquis Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can find free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Piscataquis County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Piscataquis County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Maine Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Piscataquis County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the significance of Piscataquis County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Maine courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of many Maine inhabitants. The odds are great that your chosen forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Piscataquis County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide persons in locating the resources, however it's up to the particular person to complete the researching.
The following specifics shows whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and court records are usually in Piscataquis County. The years pointed out below are the first known records with this county.
- Piscataquis County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 159 E Main St, Dover-Foxcroft, ME 04426
- Phone: (207) 564-2411
- Piscataquis County Registry of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Piscataquis County Clerk of Probate Court has has had several relating definitions over the years: the Widows and Orphans Court; the Poor Court; and the Court of Protection. All of these terms fit the description of the Probate Court.The Probate Court carries out the following procedures: Adoptions, Guardianship of Minors, Guardianships, Conservatorships, Change of Names, Estates, Trusts and Beginning Sept. 18, 1999 - Support of Enforcement.
- Piscataquis County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. Some of the Clerks records have been transfered to the Maine State Archives.
- Maine Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maine for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Maine Historical Records
- Databases include Maine Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Maine Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Maine Voter Lists & Census Records; Maine Immigration & Emigration Records; Maine Obituary Records; Maine Military Records; Maine Family Tree Records; Maine Pictures; Maine Stories, Memories & Histories; Maine Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Piscataquis County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Piscataquis County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most popular Piscataquis County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Piscataquis Co. ME Books, Newspapers & Publications
Piscataquis Co. ME Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Piscataquis Co. ME Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Piscataquis Co. ME Census Records
Piscataquis Co. ME Cemeteries & Graveyards
Piscataquis Co. ME Church & Bible Records
Piscataquis Co. ME Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Piscataquis Co. ME General and History Websites
- Piscataquis County, Maine Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Historical collections of PiscataquisCounty, Maine : consisting of papers read at meetings of PiscataquisCounty Historical So (search.ancestry.com)
- History of PiscataquisCounty, Maine (search.ancestry.com)
- The Dover and Foxcroft register, 1904 (search.ancestry.com)
- The Guilford and Sangerville town register, 1904 (search.ancestry.com)
- Sangerville, Maine, 1814-1914 : proceedings of the centennial celebration, June 13, 1914. (search.ancestry.com)
- Piscataquis County, Maine Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Piscataquis Co. ME Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Piscataquis County, Maine (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Maine - Counties - Piscataquis (cyndislist.com)
- Piscataquis County Maine (genealogytrails.com)
- Piscataquis Co. MEGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Piscataquis County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Piscataquis Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Piscataquis Co. ME Immigration & Naturalization
Piscataquis Co. ME Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Piscataquis Co. ME Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Links for Maine
- Maine, Veterans Cemetery Records, 1676-1918 (familysearch.org) Card file of veteran cemetery records located at the Maine State Archives. Cards are arranged by war then alphabetical by surname. The index cards may contain dates of birth, death and place of death and burial. The Index covers King Philip's War through World War I.
- Maine Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Maine men and women which served. Perfect for Piscataquis County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Piscataquis Co. ME Schools & Directories
- Maine City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Maine. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- The Maine register and business directory for the year 1856 (search.ancestry.com)